Dive UPDATE 6/12/2020
As you have likely heard, Northern Virginia is entering Phase 2 of re-opening starting today. As such, we have been cleared to have dive practices again. Please note we have many precautions and restrictions we must take to ensure the safety of our divers, coaches, and SHBR staff.
First off, like the swim program, we are going to gradually implement our new practice schedule to ensure we can safely handle the divers. Due to operating restrictions, we cannot accommodate divers that may need hands-on assistance due to Phase 2 restrictions. Please know that we want to be as inclusive as possible and look forward to returning to practices in which we can have everyone participate.
Second, please sign this really long online waiver before the first practice. It’s longer than usual this year because it has the regular waiver language plus COVID-19 language. The good news is you can do it all at once for all of your family and the whole thing is online.
We will be sending a separate email this weekend with a list of divers who are invited to Phase 2 practices, including a link to a Signup Genius to allow families to let us know when they can bring in their divers. There will be two separate one hour practices every day: 11:00 am – 12:00 noon, and 12:00 noon – 1:00 pm, Monday through Friday. Each session will be limited to 6 divers at a time: 3 will be doing dry land practice while the other 3 are on the pool deck. The two squads will swap after 30 minutes so everyone gets a chance on the board. We ask that you sign up each diver for no more than 2 sessions in this first week. We may increase this limit based on participation during the first week.
Additionally, we will need to follow these guidelines for safe use:
- Divers scheduled for practice must be on time to enter the pool. We cannot guarantee that divers who arrive late will be permitted entry to the pool grounds.
- The gate staff will only allow divers on the pre-approved list (from Signup Genius) and signed waivers to enter the club during their assigned session.
- An authorized adult or siblings over the age of 16 must be present to pick up the diver when the practice is scheduled to end. Late pickup will result in that diver losing the ability to participate in future practices.
- Please check updated club policy for entering and exiting the facility. Currently, the entrance is in front by the snack bar and the club exit is around the corner, behind the lower pool pump house.
- People entering the club will be asked screening questions to ensure that they are well and unlikely to pass the virus to others.
- We are permitted three divers at a time on deck (one on the board, one at the ladder, and one on deck).
- We must maintain a 10 foot distance between everyone.
- Observers must be registered through the club check-in process ahead of time (see this page for details). They may sit on the deck but must also maintain a 10 foot boundary between members of other households.
- Everyone except the three divers are required to wear a face mask.
- Divers should never wear a mask when actively diving but must put one on during breaks from diving.
We do not have enough information yet to determine changes to operations during Phase 3. We believe that although some restrictions may be loosened, it will not result in “business as usual.” Our overarching goal for Phase 3 is to bring on all our younger divers.
Please be patient with our guards and coaches as we’re all in this together. I am always available to hear your concerns and will try my best to answer your questions. Hey, at least we get to leave the house.
Diving at SHBR
Our team prides itself on the strength of its young diver program — if you can pass a swim test, our coaches can teach you to dive! If you don’t think you are young anymore, they still can teach you to dive… especially boys and girls 11-18 years.
Summer is a time for kids to have fun, make new friends, and get reacquainted with summertime pool friends. The dive team can help with this while also providing the opportunity to learn the sport. Go Seals!
Please click here if you want to receive the SHBR Dive Newsletter.
SHBR Dive Representative
Video of Mock Meet:
Another season is approaching, Seals!
I am so excited to be at SHBR this summer and make this season the best one yet! I may be a familiar face to some of you since I dove at SHBR for 10 years. For all of those I haven’t met yet, I’m looking forward to the new faces! For the past 3 years, I have been the head coach of the Annandale Swim and Tennis Dive Team. Before that, I was an assistant coach for SHBR for 3 years, as well as 4 years of high school dive experience. I’m excited to come back home and bring all the things I’ve learned from diving to not only our divers but our parents as well!
This season we are going to have so much fun! But we must remember that good fun and safety go hand in hand. Learning new dives is always our goal, but we aren’t going to put ourselves or others at risk in pursuit of that. We will work hard and set new goals while achieving great practice and meet environments. We will respect each other and our coaches and parents while on deck and at other pools. New divers, we will learn some new stuff at an individual pace and work towards achieving as much as you want to learn. For those who haven’t been part of a team, I can’t wait for you to experience the support from teammates who are learning new dives as well.
We will work together to help our children become the best divers they can be! My goal is a safe, fun practice environment where we can help each other learn and grow. We will work together to make goals and try to reach them by the end of the season. For all those new to the sport, I hope that you ask lots of questions and feel free to contact me outside of practice time with any questions or concerns you might have about anything dive. Working together is essential, and we need parents to volunteer in order to support our kids and help our team function as a whole.
I can’t wait to see you all at the beginning of the season!
2019 SHBR DIVING SCHEDULE
Available practice time before school is out:
- Monday – Friday 4:00 PM to 4:45 PM – 13 and up/intermediate and senior divers only
- Monday – Friday 4:45 PM to 5:30 PM – All Divers
- Saturday 2:00 PM – 4:00 PM
After School is out starting June 14th
- Monday 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM & 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM (13 years old and up – Intermediate & Senior divers only)
- Tuesday 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM & 3:00 PM to 5:00 PM – with adjusted times for “A” meet nights
- Wednesday 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM & 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM (13 years old and up – Intermediate & Senior divers only)
- Thursday 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM & 3:00 PM to 5:00 PM – with adjusted times for “B” meet nights
- Friday 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM – Fun Day Friday
- Saturday practice 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM
Coaches would like divers to attend as many practices as they can, at a minimum 3 practices a week. However, no diver is required to stay for the entire practice on the days they attend.
“A” COMPETITION MEETS:
- June 25 – SHBR @ Ravensworth
- July 2 – Dominion Hills @ SHBR
- July 9 – Hunt Valley @ SHBR
- July 16 – SHBR @ Mantua
- July 23 – Lakeview @ SHBR
Divers need to be at SHBR for home meets at 3:00 PM for practice with the meet beginning (weather permitting) at 6:00 PM. Divers need to be at away Clubs at 5:00 PM for practice before the meets begin at 6:00 PM.
- July 11 – To be announced
- July 18 – To be announced
- July 14 – Wally Martin Memorial 3 Meter and Synchro – Meet at Oak Marr
- July 21 – Cracker Jack Invitational Dive Meet all day at Sideburn Run
- July 28 – Divisionals @ Ravensworth
- August 4 – All Stars @ Springfield
- May 18 – Aquatics Day / Swim Suit Fit @ SHBR – Time 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM
- May 27 – Swim & Dive Ice Cream Social 5:00 PM
- June 22 – Dive Team Social & Parents Meeting after Mock Meet 4:00 PM
- July 20 – Dive Team Cook Out 4:00 PM
- July 28 – Dive Awards at Mason District Government Center 5:00 PM
- June 13 – 6:30 PM @ Truro
- June 19 – 6:30 PM @ Truro
- June 9 – 9:45 AM @ Arlington Forest
- June 23 – 2:00 PM @ Chesterbrook
- June 26 – 6:30 PM @ Camelot
TABLE WORKERS CLINICS
- June 9 – 9:45 AM @ Arlington Forest
Also, parents and divers can stay current with NVSL Dive on social media for updates during meets and other events throughout the season.
NVSL’s Facebook page is: https://www.facebook.com/DiveNVSL/
NVSL Twitter Page is https://twitter.com/nvsldive
If you would like information or photos posted to these sites please send them to email@example.com