Dive News Update
May 19, 2020
As you may be aware, our swim and dive programs operate under the auspices of the Northern Virginia Swimming League. They provide rules, insurance, and general governance over the swim and dive meets for most of the clubs in the greater area. Unfortunately, NVSL has determined that, due to the large unknowns surrounding the quarantine and its associated health concerns, there will not be a competitive season for swim and dive this summer. You can read the full text of their decision on their main page (link above).
That said, this does not mean that we cannot have organized diving at SHBR!
I am working with the Board and Coach Alex to see what we can do for our divers this summer. We have lots of ideas — we just need to wait until we know what is safe for the kids once the club opens. Here is where we are right now:
- When the pool opens, we will still be in Phase 1, which limits outdoor pools to lap swimming only, with only one person per lane. Pool capacity will be very limited and swimmers will be scheduled by reservation. During this time we are looking at what dry-land practices we can do.
- We are planning for Phase 2 in mid-June, which would expand our capacity, allowing us to have coordinated activities. Even if that date were to slide by a few weeks, we should still be able to have organized programs for the month of July. We hope to be able to move our team to the board during this phase, although using social distancing and in smaller numbers.
Coach Alex is onboard with the unusual season and we are both very enthusiastic about making it fun and interesting for the divers.
We expect that we will want one or more assistant coaches this summer. Please take a look at the job description below if you have a senior diver or recent graduate that may be interested.
Assistant Coach Search
About Us: SHBR has approximately 50 divers and was in Division 5 for the 2019 season. We have a mixture of divers who dive year round and some who just dive in the summer. This year our season begins in late May and ends in early August, at All Stars. We are looking for a dedicated Assistant Coach and equally dedicated Junior Coaches to help grow our program.
What We Want: We are a program looking ahead. We want our coaches to be energetic and make dive enjoyable. We would like candidates that support the Head Coach in teaching our divers the most up-to-date fundamental techniques, proper physical and mental preparation, and the way they can use their individual abilities. We want candidates to instill in our divers the connection between individual success, team building, safety, good sportsmanship, and enjoyment of the sport while most of all creating a fun environment.
Qualifications, Assistant Dive Coach: Competitive college and/or club diving experience. Previous NVSL coaching experience a plus. Must possess extensive dive knowledge and leadership qualities. Must be able to teach and motivate kids of all ages and possess great communication skills with all audiences. Must be able to attend scheduled practices, meets, and team social events.
What We Offer: A competitive salary, a fantastic and cool group of divers and a positive environment in which to work. Please send your resume to James Wilkins at firstname.lastname@example.org and Alex Branham at email@example.com. We will accept resumes until June 1, 2020.
Diving at SHBR
Our team prides itself on the strength of its young diver program — if you can pass a swim test, our coaches can teach you to dive! If you don’t think you are young anymore, they still can teach you to dive… especially boys and girls 11-18 years.
Summer is a time for kids to have fun, make new friends, and get reacquainted with summertime pool friends. The dive team can help with this while also providing the opportunity to learn the sport. Go Seals!
Please click here if you want to receive the SHBR Dive Newsletter.
SHBR Dive Representative
Video of Mock Meet:
Another season is approaching, Seals!
I am so excited to be at SHBR this summer and make this season the best one yet! I may be a familiar face to some of you since I dove at SHBR for 10 years. For all of those I haven’t met yet, I’m looking forward to the new faces! For the past 3 years, I have been the head coach of the Annandale Swim and Tennis Dive Team. Before that, I was an assistant coach for SHBR for 3 years, as well as 4 years of high school dive experience. I’m excited to come back home and bring all the things I’ve learned from diving to not only our divers but our parents as well!
This season we are going to have so much fun! But we must remember that good fun and safety go hand in hand. Learning new dives is always our goal, but we aren’t going to put ourselves or others at risk in pursuit of that. We will work hard and set new goals while achieving great practice and meet environments. We will respect each other and our coaches and parents while on deck and at other pools. New divers, we will learn some new stuff at an individual pace and work towards achieving as much as you want to learn. For those who haven’t been part of a team, I can’t wait for you to experience the support from teammates who are learning new dives as well.
We will work together to help our children become the best divers they can be! My goal is a safe, fun practice environment where we can help each other learn and grow. We will work together to make goals and try to reach them by the end of the season. For all those new to the sport, I hope that you ask lots of questions and feel free to contact me outside of practice time with any questions or concerns you might have about anything dive. Working together is essential, and we need parents to volunteer in order to support our kids and help our team function as a whole.
I can’t wait to see you all at the beginning of the season!
2019 SHBR DIVING SCHEDULE
Available practice time before school is out:
- Monday – Friday 4:00 PM to 4:45 PM – 13 and up/intermediate and senior divers only
- Monday – Friday 4:45 PM to 5:30 PM – All Divers
- Saturday 2:00 PM – 4:00 PM
After School is out starting June 14th
- Monday 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM & 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM (13 years old and up – Intermediate & Senior divers only)
- Tuesday 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM & 3:00 PM to 5:00 PM – with adjusted times for “A” meet nights
- Wednesday 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM & 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM (13 years old and up – Intermediate & Senior divers only)
- Thursday 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM & 3:00 PM to 5:00 PM – with adjusted times for “B” meet nights
- Friday 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM – Fun Day Friday
- Saturday practice 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM
Coaches would like divers to attend as many practices as they can, at a minimum 3 practices a week. However, no diver is required to stay for the entire practice on the days they attend.
“A” COMPETITION MEETS:
- June 25 – SHBR @ Ravensworth
- July 2 – Dominion Hills @ SHBR
- July 9 – Hunt Valley @ SHBR
- July 16 – SHBR @ Mantua
- July 23 – Lakeview @ SHBR
Divers need to be at SHBR for home meets at 3:00 PM for practice with the meet beginning (weather permitting) at 6:00 PM. Divers need to be at away Clubs at 5:00 PM for practice before the meets begin at 6:00 PM.
- July 11 – To be announced
- July 18 – To be announced
- July 14 – Wally Martin Memorial 3 Meter and Synchro – Meet at Oak Marr
- July 21 – Cracker Jack Invitational Dive Meet all day at Sideburn Run
- July 28 – Divisionals @ Ravensworth
- August 4 – All Stars @ Springfield
- May 18 – Aquatics Day / Swim Suit Fit @ SHBR – Time 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM
- May 27 – Swim & Dive Ice Cream Social 5:00 PM
- June 22 – Dive Team Social & Parents Meeting after Mock Meet 4:00 PM
- July 20 – Dive Team Cook Out 4:00 PM
- July 28 – Dive Awards at Mason District Government Center 5:00 PM
- June 13 – 6:30 PM @ Truro
- June 19 – 6:30 PM @ Truro
- June 9 – 9:45 AM @ Arlington Forest
- June 23 – 2:00 PM @ Chesterbrook
- June 26 – 6:30 PM @ Camelot
TABLE WORKERS CLINICS
- June 9 – 9:45 AM @ Arlington Forest
Also, parents and divers can stay current with NVSL Dive on social media for updates during meets and other events throughout the season.
NVSL’s Facebook page is: https://www.facebook.com/DiveNVSL/
NVSL Twitter Page is https://twitter.com/nvsldive
If you would like information or photos posted to these sites please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org