As wonderful as swimming, tennis, and relaxing by the pool are, there’s even more fun available at SHBR during the season. Plans are still being made, but here are the social events in store for 2017:
- Summer Kickoff Wine and Cheese Party: SHBR kicks off the summer season each year on the Friday before Memorial Day with an evening opportunity for adult members to make new pool friends and get together with old ones.
- SHBR Ping Pong Tourney: Thanks to all who participated in our first-ever ping pong tourney and congratulations to winners Peter K. and Danny F.
- Laser Tag: Fun to see members and guests of all ages battling it out in the back recreation area.
- Mid-Summer Party (Adults Only): We had a good time on July 15 listening to Burn and dining on Korean BBQ tacos from B. Lin.
- Trivia Night: Thanks to all 17 teams who turned out for our first annual Shine On Trivia Night on July 26. In addition to all the fun, we raised a nice additional amount for the club’s contribution to The Casey Schulman Foundation scholarship fund.
- Movie Nights: Tuesday, August 8, 7 pm, and Wednesday, August 23, 7 pm. Enjoy a family friendly flick under the stars.
- Cardboard Regatta: Saturday, August 12, 4 pm. Can you create a “boat” using only cardboard and duct tape that can carry you the length of the lower pool? And, if so, can you be the fastest racer? Or will your boat take you the length of the course while winning for design/creativity? Craft your own boat or come August 5 for a cardboard regatta workshop.
- Water Gun Nights: Here’s your second chance: Saturday, August 19, 5 pm to closing. On this night, the prohibition against water guns in the pool area is lifted. But a warning to our younger members: the adults and lifeguards may return your watery fire!
- Smores Night: Tuesday, August 29, 7-8 pm. Blow off a little back-to-school steam by building a special smore at the pool. But if things get messy, be sure to hit the showers before you dip back in the pool.
- Lobster Roast Party (Adults Only): Saturday, Sept. 2, 6:30 pm to 10 pm. This end-of-season SHBR tradition lets you bid farewell to the pool with live music, catered dinner (including fresh grilled lobster if you choose) and bring your own beverage (no glass). Additional fee. Lobster Update! You can now order extra 8-ounce lobster tails, click below for details!
- Click here to order your tickets!
- Season Finale Celebration: Sunday, September 10, 4:30-6 pm. Say goodbye to the pool for 2017.
- Dog Day Afternoon: Sunday, September 10, 7 pm. The last dip in the pool will belong to our canine members. Bring your pet (on a leash and with pickup bags) for a romp at the club and a dog paddle in the lower pool.
- Adult Swim (18+ only): Every Sunday morning from 9am-noon. Swim, play tennis, do water aerobics, chill out in the shade. But some say the free coffee and donuts are the real draw.
- Friday Night Music: Enjoy music by the lower pool on Friday nights from 6-8pm. Check the SHBR calendar to see if someone is playing this Friday. (Have a band you’d like to recommend? Send information on the band, including type of music and contact details, to firstname.lastname@example.org.)
60th Anniversary Mid-Summer Party(Adults Only): July 16 from 6:30 – 10:00pm.
Plan on joining us for music by Swell and food catered by La Granja D’Oro – back by popular demand! As part of this celebration, we’d like to feature some history of the best pool in NOVA. Have a classic car you’d like show off? Email Cindy about showing it at the Mid-Summer’s Party! Have some pictures that you’d like to see on the big screen that night? Send them to Cindy email@example.com!
- Trivia Night #1: July 29th. Hosted By Trivia Kings. Teams of 4-6 compete for prizes and bragging rights! Get you friends together and come on out. This was a big hit last year, and this year for the teen party.
- Trivia Night #2: Thursday, August 25th. Trivia Kings are back again for our second night of trivia. Same format, teams of 4-6 compete for prizes and bragging rights, so get you friends together and come on out.
Lobster Roast Party (Adults Only): Saturday, Sept 3rd from 6:30 – 11pm.
Always a crowd pleaser. Be sure not to miss this end of season SHBR tradition.
Music by The Taters. Catering by Clare and Don’s of Falls Church. Registration coming soon.